Mo’s House of Axe is a unique venue that combines elevated and reimagined bistro fare with a full bar and 20 lanes of axe-throwing. (Yes, axe throwing.) Along with the occasional DJ and live music! At Mo’s we are committed to fabulous food and outstanding service. We are currently seeking an energetic and enthusiastic Sous Chef. The ideal candidate has a strong culinary background and an ability to demonstrate an innovative and artistic approach to cooking. We took an axe to traditional recipes to create our fresh takes, drawing on LA’s diversity here in our kitchen!
The successful Sous Chef will also be capable of engaging in a high-volume, fast-paced work environment, managing kitchen staff and ensuring that all food preparation is completed to the utmost satisfaction of our guests.
Our Sous Chef will have the freedom to be creative, take risks, and truly shine. We are committed to our staff growing, trying new things, and learning all that they can. Our growth potential translates into exciting opportunities for our people! Working as the Sous Chef, you will be responsible for overseeing kitchen operations while maintaining a safe and sanitary work environment for the staff. This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic, entrepreneurial culinary professional.
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Head Chef in operating clean, safe kitchen and dish room facilities while meeting or exceeding food quality and speed of service requirements. Directly responsible for the entire kitchen operation.
Duties and Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Work with the leadership team to produce diversified menus in accordance with the concept and brand’s policy and vision
- Establish the kitchen team’s schedule and organize kitchen staff
- Understand and proactively learn to maintain labor cost
- Managing food and kitchenware inventory and kitchen needs
- Produce high quality, consistent dishes that follow the established menu and meet the concept’s standards, as well as guest requirements.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, conscious way to all team members.
- Ability to understand what people are asking, and provide insight in a positive manner.
- Help to positively problem solve and offer solutions and support where necessary.
- Must be able to train and lead other chefs and the kitchen staff.
- Have teaching strategies that convey information clearly and in an accessible manner.
- 2+ years of Sous Chef experience in a high paced restaurant setting
- Knowledge of best practices for training kitchen staff and implementing kitchen procedure
- High level of creativity, reliability, consistency, and accountability
- Flexible schedule required
- Familiarity with menu costing procedures
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
- Organize, develop and produce new recipes for potential new menu items and specials.
- Ensures the completion of all opening and closing procedures as prescribed by the company.
- Maintain expediting standards.
- Communicates clearly and concisely with all employees during service.
- Practical knowledge of the job duties of all supervised employees.
- Assists in overseeing the replacement or repair of all breakage, damaged equipment or furniture.
- Attends, leads and participates in any training sessions, departmental meetings or daily pre-shift meetings.
- Learn by listening, observing other team members and sharing knowledge while leading by example.
- Portrays a positive and professional attitude.
- Demonstrates knowledge of venue
- Works as part of a team and provides help and support to all fellow team members.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.00 – $25.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Food provided
- Casual dining restaurant
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
Please note these job descriptions is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.